Barbecue Soya Chap is a delicious and protein-rich dish with soy chunks marinated in a flavorful barbecue sauce. It’s a great vegetarian or vegan alternative to traditional barbecue dishes. Here’s a simple recipe to make Barbecue Soya Chap:
For the Soya Chap:
1 cup soy chunks (soya nuggets)
Water for soaking
2 cups water for boiling
Pinch of salt
For the Barbecue Marinade:
Two tablespoons of tomato ketchup
Two tablespoons of barbecue sauce
One tablespoon of soy sauce
One tablespoon chili sauce (adjust to your spice preference)
One tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper powder
One tablespoon of lemon juice
Salt to taste
1-2 tablespoons oil
Skewers (wooden or metal)
Start by preparing the soy chunks:
1. Soak the soy chunks in enough water for 15-20 minutes. This will rehydrate them and make them tender.
2. drain the water and squeeze out any excess water from the soy chunks after soaking.
3. Boil 2 cups of water with a pinch of salt, and once it comes to a boil, add the soy chunks to it. Boil for 3-4 minutes to remove any raw smell.
4. Drain the boiled soy chunks and let them cool down.
In the meantime, prepare the barbecue marinade:
1. Combine tomato ketchup, barbecue sauce, soy sauce, chili sauce, oil, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper powder, lemon juice, and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix everything well to form a smooth and flavorful marinade.
2. Once the soy chunks have cooled down, add them to the barbecue marinade, making sure they are coated well. You can use your hands to massage the marinade into the soy chunks for better flavor absorption. Let them marinate for at least 30 minutes. Marinate for 2-3 hours or overnight in the refrigerator for more intense flavors.
3. After marinating, thread the soy chunks onto the skewers.
4. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil on a grill or regular pan over medium heat.
5. You can also use a barbecue grill if you have one.
6. Place the skewers on the hot pan and cook for about 5-7 minutes, turning them occasionally until they are nicely charred and cooked.
7. remove the Barbecue Soya Chap from the skewers and serve hot with sliced onions, lemon wedges, and green chutney on the side.